Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Stargirl

by Jerry Spenilli




"She was homeschooling gone amok." "She was an alien." "Her parents were circus acrobats." These are only a few of the theories concocted to explain Stargirl Caraway, a new 10th grader at Arizona's Mica Area High School who wears pioneer dresses and kimonos to school, strums a ukulele in the cafeteria, laughs when there are no jokes, and dances when there is no music. The whole school, not exactly a "hotbed of nonconformity," is stunned by her, including our 16-year-old narrator Leo Borlock: "She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."
In time, incredulity gives way to out-and-out adoration as the student body finds itself helpless to resist Stargirl's wide-eyed charm, pure-spirited friendliness, and penchant for celebrating the achievements of others. In the ultimate high school symbol of acceptance, she is even recruited as a cheerleader. Popularity, of course, is a fragile and fleeting state, and bit by bit, Mica sours on their new idol. Why is Stargirl showing up at the funerals of strangers? Worse, why does she cheer for the opposing basketball teams? The growing hostility comes to a head when she is verbally flogged by resentful students on Leo's televised Hot Seat show in an episode that is too terrible to air. While the playful, chin-held-high Stargirl seems impervious to the shunning that ensues, Leo, who is in the throes of first love (and therefore scornfully deemed "Starboy"), is not made of such strong stuff: "I became angry. I resented having to choose. I refused to choose. I imagined my life without her and without them, and I didn't like it either way."

4 comments:

  1. The book Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli was great. It was about this a girl named Stargirl. Stargirl wasn't just your ordinary girl. For example, in the beginning she starts dancing around the cafeteria while playing her .Also her being new was a really brave thing to do. The book Stargirl teaches us to do what your hart tells you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the book Stargirl by Jerry Spenilli a girl named Stargirl decides to quit homeschooling to goto high school. Stargirl reminds me of some people I know. Not as a whole, but certain traits are similar. Some of my friends ate cheery, optimistic, they don't care what other people think of them. These were positive traits because Stargirl was liked by everyone - at least for a while. When people shunned Stargirl, she didn't seem to notice that they were doing it. When you don't notice that something negative is happening, it can't bother you. And that is a great trait to have. I have a friend who has this trait and always sees the upside on things and ignores things she doesn't like. This makes her pleasant company, just like Stargirl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book Stargirl by Jerry Spenilli was a very good book. I really liked it because it was different but still similar in ways to the book we just read, Fire Girl by Tony Abbot. While Fire Girl was about a girl who was different from everyone, and was very shy, Stargirl was very different from everyone else too, but she was very "out there". Stargirl even had to change because she was too over the top for her classmates and friends. I liked reading these two books right after one another because it was fun to relate the books and see how they were similar and different. I felt like the book Stargirl was less intense because Fire Girl was more dramatic, but I felt like Stargirl was still very entertaining. If I had to choose between the two books, Fire Girl was my favorite because I felt like it was very suspenseful and I just wanted to keep reading the book. Both books were very good, and I would love to read another book like these ones again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli, was an amazing book. Out of all the characters we’ve met through the bookclub books, Stargirl was my favorite. She was outgoing and confident. She didn’t care what other people thought of her, which was a good thing, because most of her classmates didn’t like her or thought she was rather odd.
    Like Maggie, this book reminded me in some ways of Firegirl, by Tony Abbott. Both books had boy/girl friendships. In Stargirl, Leo was friends with Stargirl and in Firegirl, Tom was friends with Jessica. In both books, the person who became friends with the main character had a former best friend that was not too happy with the new friendship.

    I thought Stargirl was great! I enjoyed it so much I’d really like to read the sequel. My book had the first chapter “sneak peek” in it and I wish I could read the whole thing now!

    ReplyDelete