Monday, September 8, 2014

Divergent


by Veronica Roth


In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the YA scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

5 comments:

  1. In the book Divergent, Tris is searching for who she really is. This decision is so scary because if she choses a faction and it is not what she wants she can't change. If she shows any desire to be in another faction she would be considered a traitor and left factionless (homeless). If I were in her position I would also have chosen Dauntless because I think that if they found out about my divergency I would not know how to protect myself. I enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book Divergent by Veronica Roth, is about a girl named Tris and she lived in a community where everyone is put into factions or groups. She was divergent, which meant that she could be a part of almost any of the different factions. She chose to be part of the Dauntless. Along the way she had some difficulties and obstacles, but she got through it and now she has a pretty interesting life. I enjoyed this book and encourage other people to read it. It was action packed and addictive. I can't wait to read another book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Divergent was a great book that kept me entertained throughout the whole story. It was action-packed and full of adventure. If I were Tris and I had to choose a faction that would determine my life, I probably would have chosen a safer faction to protect myself from getting killed because I am divergent. For example when I took the quiz in the back of the book it said I would be Candor. However, I don't think I would have chosen Candor because, I’ll admit it, I’m not always honest and do tell some lies. To be honest, I most likely would've chosen Amity. Staying out of everybody's way, being kind, and having everybody like you, that sounds like a pretty good life. On the other hand I can see a few good things about belonging to Dauntless. Being able to protect myself and not be totally vulnerable does sound nice too. I don't think I would have been able to survive all the fights, tests, and punishments. Overall I would recommend this book for people that enjoy adventure and action. I look forward to reading the next book Insurgent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Divergent, by Veronica Roth, a girl named Tris, lived in a futuristic community. The community is divided among many factions, or other smaller communities. Each community has it's own special "rules" in which everyone who lives there must follow. If they do not follow the rules, it shows a yearning to be in another faction, and they become homeless. When a child gets to be a certain age, they have the chance to choose which faction to live in. They take tests to discover what faction is best for them, but they do not have to choose that faction. Tris, was special. She was divergent. This meant that she would be perfect to live in, and be part of any faction. Tris chose to be part of the dauntless faction, and along the way of her adventure, she overcame obstacles and learned what was right for her. She had made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Divergent is a life risking book about a girl named Tris, who had to decide which faction she would live in and there would be no options of switching factions ever again. While Tris was trying to figure out which faction she would chose to be in the whole communities graduating students (including Tris) had to take a test that would help them decide the place they would chose. But when Tris had her test taken she found out she could live in multiple parts of the community and was divergent, this made it more confusing then she thought it would be. Overall this book was amazing and I would recommend it to others.

    ReplyDelete